Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Temporary Resident Visas


Traveling is exciting and Canada is one of the most sought after places to go whether it’s to work, visit family and friends or get a high level education! If you want to come to Canada to work, visit or study, but you don’t intend to stay permanently you may be required to apply for a visa. Almost all persons and countries need visas to study or work in Canada, but not all countries need visas to visit Canada.

  • If you need a visa, then we can help you apply for all forms of visas whether you are inside or outside of Canada.
  • If you do not need a visa to visit Canada, you may need to apply to extend your stay after you have entered Canada. The usual stay granted to those who don’t need visa is six months. Call us to find out rules about your particular visa.

Remaining in Canada or Extending Your Stay:

**Important Information!**

All temporary residents (students, workers or visitors) to Canada MUST intend to leave Canada at the end of their stay. You cannot remain in Canada indefinitely and in most cases, you cannot apply for permanent status from within Canada without ensuring your temporary status is up to date.

All temporary residents (regardless of what country they are from or whether or not they originally needed a visa) MUST officially and legally apply to extend their temporary permit at the end of their stay if they choose to remain in Canada.  

Work Permits and Extensions

People come from all over the world to work in Canada for various reasons. That’s why there are several types of work visas. The government of Canada issues eligible applicants documents called work permits for those who want to work in Canada temporarily.


Extensions: If you want to keep working in Canada, you must apply to extend your work permit before it expires. You may have to meet certain requirements to do this, especially if your contract with your employer is also expiring.

 Almost all persons and countries need a work permit to work in Canada. There are several types of work permits:


Temporary Foreign Worker:

This is a work permit which normally requires an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The person who wants to work in Canada must ALREADY HAVE an employer who is going to hire him/her and the employer must get the LMIA.


Open Work Permit:

This type of work permit is only issued to certain persons under specific rules. These persons are:

  • The spouse/common-law partner of a person who has ALREADY APPLIED FOR a work permit or study permit in Canada
  • A person who is being sponsored from INSIDE Canada as a spouse/common-law partner.
  • A person who has very recently (within the last few months) graduated from an eligible university or college program in Canada (this is also called a Post Graduate Work Permit)
  • Refugee claimants, refugees and their family members
  • Some young workers who have participated in special programs
  • In some cases, temporary resident permit holders

Intracompany Transferee Work Permit :

Canada is part of several international trade agreements such as NAFTA and GATS. These agreements allow international companies from various countries to transfer qualified employees temporarily to their Canadian affiliate company.

Intracompany transferees who qualify will require a work permit, but are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) because of the economic benefit or specialized work experience they bring to Canada.

NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement)

This agreement exists between Canada, the USA and Mexico. Currently, persons who qualify to enter Canada under NAFTA can enter under exemption codes for Traders, Investors, Professionals or Intra-company Transferees.

GATS (General Agreement on Trades in Services)

This agreement exists amongst any countries that are member nations of the GATS. Persons who qualify to enter Canada under GATS can enter under exemption codes for Professionals, and under the general provision for Intra-company Transferees.


Post Graduate Work Permit:

Students who have studied in Canada for at least 8 months in an eligible university or college program (according to the regulations of IRCC) and have graduated in Canada, may apply for a work permit that will allow them to work up to 3 years (or the length of their study time).

This is a type of open work permit that does not require an LMIA. Canadian graduates who work for at least one year after obtaining this work permit, may be eligible to immigrate to Canada through Express Entry under the Canadian Experience Class. 


Visitor Permits and Extensions:

 Coming to Canada for a vacation or to visit family or friends can be a great experience! There are some countries that have agreements with Canada that allow them to travel to Canada without a visa. Many other countries, however, require a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

If you are from a country that does not need a visitor visa to Canada, border authorities may give you a stamp in your passport upon entry that indicates when you entered and when you have to leave Canada. If you did not get a stamp in your passport, the general allowable time to visit Canada is six months.

IMPORTANT! If you want to stay in Canada longer you MUST apply for an extension to your stay in Canada EVEN IF you do not need a visa to visit Canada.

If you are from a country where visas to Canada required, then you must apply for a visitor visa to the visa office or Visa Application Centre closest to your home country. Once you have the visitor visa, it will tell you how long you are able to stay in Canada. 


Student Permits and Extensions:

Canada has an excellent education system and people the world over want to study in Canada.  Almost all persons who want to study in Canada require a study permit. There are a few exceptions.

The following are persons who DO NOT require a study permit:


  • Those who wish to study a short-term course or program of six months or less
  • Minor children* attending kindergarten;
  • Minor children of refugees or refugee claimants
  • Minor children whose parents have a valid work or study permit
  • Foreign representatives to Canada
  • Member of foreign armed forces
  • Foreign nationals who are registered aboriginals (First Nations) in Canada

*Minor children are defined as children under 18 or 19 years of age depending on the provincial age of majority

Everyone else needs a study permit. To get a study permit, you must do the following:

  • Apply for and be accepted at a designated learning institution in Canada (a designated learning institution is a school or institution chosen by the government of Canada as eligible to accept international students).
  • You must have enough money to pay for your tuition, living expenses, other school fees and transportation to and from Canada
  • You must have no criminal record and be in good health

It’s important to note that studying in Canada is expensive and you must prove that you have enough money to do so.

Additionally, you must apply to extend your study permit if it is going to expire or if you want to continue studying.

If your intention is to study in Canada, graduate and get a work permit in order to apply for permanent residency in Canada, please see the section on Post Graduate Work Permit above.


  Super Visa for Parents COMING SOON!


Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant  RCIC # 515290