Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Express Entry


EXPRESS ENTRY is a method the Canadian government uses to determine a person’s eligibility to immigrate to Canada based on their employment or what they call the “economic stream” of immigration.  Express Entry includes four categories of immigration programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker
  • Federal Skilled Trades Worker
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Provincial Nominee.


Online Profile:

All persons who want to be considered for entry to Canada through Express Entry, must create an online profile on the Canadian government website with all the required information about their age, past and current work experience, education, family information, language ability and possible job offer in Canada.

Language Proficiency and Educational Credential Assessment:

It’s important to note that for all of the Express Entry programs applicants are required to take an English proficiency test (even if you’re first language is English). Additionally, you will have to get equivalency assessments (called Educational Credential Assessments) of any of your diplomas that you want counted towards your Express Entry points for education.

Comprehensive Ranking System:

The government grants points for each of the factors in the online profile (and some others). They make a round of invitations for potential applicants every few months. Those who have the highest points when the government makes a round of invitations, will be issued an “Invitation to Apply” (ITA) for permanent residence through one of the four categories. The persons who receive an ITA, are then required to go through the application process to get permanent residence in Canada.


Federal Skilled Workers (FSW)

The Federal Skilled Worker program is for persons who have held a high skilled job for at least one year in the past 10 years. A high skilled job is one which usually requires a university or college education and is not a trade (see the Federal Skilled Trades Program for trades).

A higher level of English proficiency is also needed for this program compared with the Canadian Experience Class and the Federal Skilled Trades.


Federal Skilled Trades Workers (FSTW)  

If you would like to apply to immigrate to Canada through the Federal Skilled Trades Workers program, you are required to have at least 2 years of full time work experience in a skilled trade in the last 5 years, have a job offer for at least one year in Canada (in that trade) AND meet the requirements of the trade under the National Occupational Codes of Canada. You may also need a certificate of qualification from Canada in a skilled trade OR a certification from another country accompanied by a credential assessment indicating that the trade is equivalent to a Canadian trade.

What skilled trades are acceptable? The government of Canada considers these trades as acceptable under the FSTW program:

  • industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
  • chefs and cooks
  • butchers and bakers

The FSTW program can be complicated to navigate especially if you aren’t sure if your experience and trade qualifies for the program. Let us help you find out!


Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

To qualify for the Canadian Experience Class program through the Express Entry method, you must have at least one year of Canadian work experience and/or have studied in Canada in a program that is minimum 8 months at a designated college or university.

The CEC program is best for persons who are already in Canada or who have spent time in Canada in the last 3 years.

Provincial Nominees   

The provincial nominee programs are run by the provincial government of each province and territory in Canada. These programs are varied in their requirements to qualify. In most cases, once you qualify for a program, your employer must nominate you to stay in Canada permanently. This usually requires what is called a “Provincial Nominee Certificate” for which the employer has to apply and then provide to you. This will be the certificate you need to apply for permanent residence.

In some cases, the province might choose you from the pool of candidates in the Express Entry program if you qualify.

Call us to find out more about how to qualify for the provincial nominee program in Ontario!


Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program   


Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant  RCIC # 515290